The Life of Mrs. Fifty Shades | Chapter 11

The Life of Mrs. Fifty Shades


Chapter Eleven
Christian

“There’s nothing to report. He goes to work, comes home, and does it again the next day. His search engine is innocent, and the limited conversations I’ve listened to are unremarkable. In fact, he’s very boring.”

I listened to my PI over the phone. “Boring is good.”

“His wife passed away ten years ago, and he’s been alone ever since. He did pay a prostitute for sex once, but that was the only incident. He never had any children of his own. Lonely.”

The words fell on my ear but they didn’t mean anything to me. “His threat level?”

“Insignificant. I don’t think there’s anything to worry about, Mr. Grey.”

I worried about everything. It was my nature. “You think his attempt to connect with me was genuine?”

“I’m not comfortable answering that. But I will say he has no one else to turn to. Based on his history, his life is a sad story.”

Not as sad as mine. “Thank you.”

“Of course, Mr. Grey. Call me if you need anything else.”

“I will.” I hit the button and ended the call. When silence surrounded me, I stared out the window and considered everything I just heard. My birth father seemed harmless. Maybe Ana was right. I was overreacting.

But my gut told me otherwise.
***
When I walked into Grey Publishing, everyone stared at me like usual. They were both terrified and unnaturally interested in me. My presence wasn’t rare. I came to see Ana all the time.

But they still looked at me like that.

I walked to her office and ignored their stares. She was sitting at her desk, a half-eaten muffin next to her phone. Her tea was cold and untouched. When she turned to me, her eyes had that brilliance I looked forward to. She reacted to me the same way she did when she first saw me. Her cheeks flushed and her lips looked anxious to be kissed.

I loved that reaction.

“Hi.” She turned off her monitor and grabbed her purse.

I sat at the edge of the desk and stared down at her. “Did that author ever agree to publish with you?”

She stopped moving at the question. “The man from the coffee shop?”

“Yes.”

“No. He’s not interested.”

He really was a freak. “I hope you’ve moved on.”

“I have.” She avoided my gaze and placed her snack in the trash. On the desk was a picture of me and our children. I sat on the sofa and held both of them on my knee. It was taken on Christmas morning.

“Good.”

She shouldered her purse then stood up. “How was work?”

“Uneventful.” I had two meetings and a ton of paperwork. Sometimes my job was exhilarating, and sometimes, it was painfully boring. Today, I felt like I didn’t accomplish anything because I kept thinking of other things. I wondered if my birth father was truly harmless, if Phoebe’s fussiness was a sign of a deeper issue, and if Ana would continue to put up with my shit for the rest of our lives. “You?”

“I’m looking for new talent but haven’t come across anything noteworthy.”

“Give it time.”

“I’m sure something will come along.”

“Or you could write something yourself.”

She laughed like I just made a quick-witted joke.

“I don’t see the humor.”

“I can read. But not write.”

“How will you know unless you try?” I challenged her with my look. “I didn’t think I’d be able to open one of the largest shipping companies in the world. But then I tried. Everything seems impossible until it’s accomplished.”

She chuckled under her breath. “Not everyone is like you, Mr. Grey.”

“You’re right. There are people much more capable, intelligent, and compassionate.”

She stared at me with that expression she gave me when I said or did something right. She leaned over the desk and kissed me. “Humility. It’s a nice color on you.”

I stared at her lips when she pulled away, wanting more of that sweet mouth. I wanted to taste the wine off her mouth then kiss her in forbidden places. I lost the trail of our conversation because I was too involved with her features.

“Ready to go?” Her question brought me back to reality.

“Yeah.” I rose to my feet and wrapped my arm around her waist. “Maybe we can stop by the apartment on the way home.”

“Yeah?” Her eyes lit up at the suggestion.

And I got hard. “There’s always time for the playroom.”

***
I tried on my suit and stared at myself in the mirror. The cuff links were gray just as I preferred, and the white collared shirt was tailored to my specifications. The black suit complemented the gray tie. I looked ready for either work or a night of socializing.

Ana stepped out of her closet wearing the champagne pink dress Andrea picked out for her. It had a sweetheart top and was tight around the waist. It flared out past her hips and made her look like royalty. Silver earrings dangled from her lobes, and her hair was pulled back in a pretty arrangement.

I stopped staring at myself and watched her instead.

She looked at her own appearance in the mirror and didn’t see what I saw. To her, she was just some ordinary woman with pale skin and soft eyes. I saw a woman both beautiful and fuckable. Her prominent cheekbones, full lips, and slender neck caught my attention the first time I looked at her. I wanted her then, and somehow, I wanted her more now.

She did her makeup then checked her hair one more time before she turned to me. “We should get going. Otherwise, we’ll be late.”

“If you’re important, people will wait.” I adjusted my sleeves while keeping my eyes trained on her. “You look beautiful.”

Instantly, a blush filled her cheeks. “Thank you.”
We were on a time crunch so getting close to her probably wasn’t the best idea, but I did it anyway. I crossed the space between us and placed my hand on her neck. The skin was warm and her freckles looked like a sea of stars. The overwhelming urge to take her roughly overcame me, but I kept myself under control.

There would be time for that later.

“You look handsome, Mr. Grey.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Grey.” My hand moved to her cheek, and my thumb trailed across her face until it rested on the corner of her mouth. The red lipstick was prominent, and I wanted the paint to be marked all over my body. “I want to fuck you. Hard.”

She swallowed the lump in her throat, the desire unmistakable in her eyes. “You’ll get your chance, Christian.”

“No. I’ll take my chance.”

***

We arrived at the historic building at the edge of Escala and made our entrance. I was the chief benefactor of the charity, so it was my duty to show up to the gala. I didn’t mind making donations. But I hated giving up my time. I’d rather be home with my family—my wife and my children.

But it was my obligation.

Everyone greeted me then complimented Teddy and Phoebe. I didn’t like to take my children to these social functions, but Ana insisted they come along. She wanted them to know me, to be a part of my philanthropic life.

And I caved.

Ana held Phoebe in her arms as she greeted everyone beside me. She’d adapted to her lifestyle as Mrs. Grey. Just like the president’s wife, she smiled warmly and made everyone feel welcome in her presence. And she showed off her daughter as well.

I held Teddy’s hand so he wouldn’t take off somewhere. It was easy for him to get distracted by something shiny or a balloon. Everyone commented on his appearance, saying he was a younger version of myself.

The similarities were striking, even to me.

“Christian.” Grace and Carrick spotted me from across the room. Dressed in their finest, they came to me with looks of joy. Grace reached me first then leaned in to give me her cheek. “You look so handsome, Christian.”

I kissed her cheek then pulled away. “You outshine me, as always.” I greeted Carrick with a handshake then let Ana say hello.

My parents were enraptured by their grandchildren, kissing them and practically smothering them to death. Mom took Phoebe out of Ana’s hands and held her close to her chest. “Let us help you out tonight so you can make your rounds.”

Dad took Teddy’s hand and pulled a car out of his pocket. “Look what I found today.”

“Cool,” Teddy said with excitement. “Can I have it?”

“Of course, kiddo.” Dad handed it over.

Teddy still held his hand, but his mind was preoccupied with the new toy.

My parents didn’t need to take the children off our hands, but we were used to them intervening—even too much. “Thanks for the hand.”

“Of course.” Grace and Carrick walked away, the children stuck to them like glue.

Ana didn’t complain about her children being taken away, but she watched them leave with sadness deep in her eyes. She was committed to her job at Grey Publishing, but she also wanted to stay home and spend all day with them. She was torn—right down the middle.

I took her hand and pulled her away. “Let’s mingle.”

***

Elliot and Kate were there, but their two children were at home with a sitter. Elliot and I greeted each other with a handshake, and I couldn’t help but smile at the stupid grin on his face. He used to tell me settling down wasn’t his cup of tea. But now, he looked like the happiest bastard in the world.

Kate and Ana chatted quietly together, their giggles drifting to our conversation every few seconds.

“Women, huh?” Elliot drank from his wine and waggled his eyebrows.

“Yeah…” Elliot was my closest family member, but we were still polar opposites. He was outgoing and funny, and I was more recluse than a nocturnal bat.

“How are the kids?”

“Good. Phoebe is a little restless, but I’m sure it’ll pass.”

“We need to set up a playdate,” he said. “Have Mrs. Jones take them to the zoo or something.”

“You just want a free babysitter.”

He shrugged. “You caught me, bro.”

The host came onto the stage and announced dinner was to be served. We sat at one table while Grace and Carrick sat at a different table with the children. The moment we sat down, my hand went to Ana’s thigh, and I gave her a squeeze under the table.

She rested her hand over mine, warning me not to try anything inappropriate.

She knew me too well.

We continued to make conversation with Elliot and Kate, mainly discussing work and a possible vacation. Ana told her we recently went to Italy, and Kate found that fascinating. The girls talked back and forth while Elliot and I talked about the Mariners.

When dinner was finished, they began the ceremony and discussed the charity and how it benefited so many people around the world. The objective was to end hunger for everyone because no one should have to go to bed on an empty stomach. It was something I was particularly passionate about since I was hungry during most of my childhood. I hated wasting food, and I taught my children to eat everything on their plate. If they couldn’t do that, they needed to get smaller portions.

“We’d like to present our honorary award to our biggest benefactor, Mr. Christian Grey.” The man clapped as did everyone else in the audience.

Ana stared at me with a look full of pride.

I hated attention. But I didn’t mind getting that look from her.

I walked to the stage and took the award with one hand. The applause died down as I stood at the podium and waited for a moment of silence to speak. The lights were in my eyes, and I couldn’t see the faces of the crowd. “Thank you to everyone for coming out tonight. And thank you to everyone who donated to this great cause. Anyone who knows what it’s like to be hungry, truly hungry, appreciates what you’ve done. World hunger can be eradicated if we remain diligent. If we continue this fight, one day, it’ll be gone forever. Every man, woman, and child will go to bed with a full stomach. Together, we can make this happen. Thank you.” Applause sounded as I walked back to the table where my wife was waiting. All eyes were on me. They pierced through my skin and my clothes. Attention wasn’t something I relished, but I handled it well. Once I was back in my seat, Ana cupped my face and gave me a kiss.

Her lips showed her affection and respect. She didn’t kiss me because she wanted me. She didn’t kiss me because I was rich and famous. She kissed me because she was proud of the man she married.

And I was happy.



   << chapter 10  |  chapter 12 >>    

3 comments:

  1. OMG, my heart is in my mouth I hope everyone is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this is suspense just like the books.... I love it and Friday's are soo long away 🙁 I think we all agree that this should be turned into a book..

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG this is suspense just like the books.... I love it and Friday's are soo long away 🙁 I think we all agree that this should be turned into a book..

    ReplyDelete