The Life of Mrs. Fifty Shades | Chapter 24

The Life of Mrs. Fifty Shades 

Chapter Twenty-Four 
Christian



I’d been angry a lot in my life. I’d demolished my office when things didn’t go according to plan. I’d threatened countless people down the line. I’d thrown a few punches and never missed.

But this was different.

The rage was so strong I couldn’t think. Blood pounded in my ears at full speed and my heart couldn’t keep up with my adrenaline needs. The house was empty because Ana took her essence when she stormed off.

And she took my kids.

Our kids.

When I spotted her wedding band on the nightstand, I ripped apart the bedroom. The bed frame was in pieces, the TV was shattered, and the dressers were just sticks of wood in the center of the room.

Thankfully, Mrs. Jones wasn’t there to see me like that.

Ana turned off her phone so my calls weren’t going through. She cut off all contact with me and she wasn’t making idle threats. When she told me we were done, I thought she was just angry and needed space.

But when she left and headed for the airport, I knew this was serious.

I wasn’t protecting Elena from anything. I really did believe Ana was just upset and her judgment was clouded. But Ana wouldn’t storm off like this if she was just angry. And she certainly wouldn’t put our kids in the middle of it. She had a mild temper, and while she stood up to me more often than I would appreciate, she was always right.

Was she right about this?

I had to admit to myself I did have a blindspot for Elena. But it was impossible not to. That woman was the foundation to Grey House. She opened my eyes to a lifestyle that suited my specific needs. Without her, I never would have lived my life in the way I needed to.

And I wouldn’t have fallen for Ana.

She did a lot of good in spite of the bad. But perhaps I concentrated on that too much.

I wanted to confront Elena about everything, but I was more concerned about Ana. She took off, and I knew she didn’t go to her mother’s because I called to make sure. I called her stepdad as well, but he didn’t have a clue what I was talking about. I knew he wasn’t lying.

I could read people too well.

There was only one other place she would go, even though it was unlikely.

I called Crow.

It rang three times before it went to voicemail.

That told me everything I needed to know.

***
Elena answered my call on the first ring. “Christian. How are you?” She spoke with her typical sexy voice, sounding like a heathen ready to be tied to the bed. It was her bedroom voice, the tone she used to use when she ordered me around her playroom.

The suspicion descended. “Are you alone?”

“Yes. I’m at home. Want to stop by?”

The warning in my heart only increased. “Elena, we never lie to each other, right?”

“Of course not.”
           
Elena was my longtime friend, and the idea of saying goodbye burned me to the core. But if I wanted to keep my wife and my kids, I had to do this. “I’ve been thinking about everything that happened. When I was taken and Ana went into hiding.”

“Yes?”

I remained silent for a full minute, staring out the window of the car as Taylor drove me to the airport. I had to get on a flight to Florence and fix the beautiful thing I shattered. “My PI did some digging. I know you were involved.” I was going out on a limb here. Elena knew I wasn’t the type of man to throw out lies, threats, and accusations unless I was absolutely certain. It wasn’t the way I ran my business or my life. So she would assume I had all the facts, and if she really wasn’t involved, she would counter the argument.

She was quiet for so long it didn’t seem like she was going to say anything.

Guilt fell into the pit of my stomach when I realized Ana was right. Elena’s silence spoke volumes. I had the answers I needed. I pushed my wife away when all she wanted me to do was protect her.

I let her down.

I betrayed her.

And I wouldn’t blame her for not forgiving me.

Elena cleared her voice before she finally spoke. “Christian, let me explain…”

I closed my eyes as the truth hit me like a bucket of cold water. I pinched the bridge of my nose as rage washed through me. What kind of man was I to not believe my own wife? How could I call myself her husband and say it with pride? Now that I knew Elena really was involved, I wanted to hurt her. I really wanted to hurt her, to strangle her until she choked to death. “I don’t want your excuses, Elena. Come near my family again and see what happens. You’ll be hearing from my lawyer.” I hung up and dropped the phone onto the seat beside me.

I couldn’t even apologize to Ana because she wasn’t taking my calls. I couldn’t call Crow because he was clearly on her side for this one.

I was alone.

***
After I knocked on the door, Crow answered.

Crow never answered his door because that’s what he paid Lars to do. So he’d obviously been expecting me. Ana and the kids were inside, hiding away from me because they didn’t trust me.

Crow shut the door behind him and stepped forward, blocking the entrance with his body.

I stared him down, feeling my blood burn with betrayal.
           
He said nothing, meeting my gaze with stoic coldness.

I finally broke the silence. “I want to talk to Mrs. Grey.”

He crossed his arms over his chest. “You already know what I’m going to say, Christian.”

“I’m here to apologize. Let me see her.”

He didn’t move.

“This doesn’t concern you. You’re my friend, not hers. You shouldn’t even be involved in this.”

“She came to me looking for asylum. Out of respect for you, that’s why I’m doing this. She doesn’t feel safe, and I’m keeping her safe. That’s exactly what you would want, Christian. Me in front of this door so no one can bother her—including you.”

How did I become the villain so quickly? “Please, let me talk to her.” I never said the word please. Ever.

He only shook his head.

I stepped back because I thought I might hit him in the face. “All I want to do is talk to my wife. And you’re going to stand in the way?”

“I’ll let her know you’re here. But that’s it.”

“Fuck you, Crow.” I wanted to charge him and do whatever it took to get into that house. But Crow was my equal. The only thing that could come from that would be two broken bodies.

He gave me his signature cold look before he walked inside and shut the door.

I waited outside and hoped he would return with good news. I hoped Ana would be the one who opened the door. I hoped I could apologize on my knees and have her take me back.

But Crow was the one who answered again.

Fucking nightmare.

All he did was shake his head.

“What did she say?”

“She wants some space. I suggest you go to your villa down the street and give her some time.”

I couldn’t believe this was happening.

And I was the one to blame.

Crow walked back to the door.

“Wait.”
           
He turned around, his hand resting on the doorknob. “Hmm?”

I tried to think of something to say, something to soften her anger. “Tell Mrs. Grey I love her.”


   <<  chapter 23   |  chapter 25  >>
 

4 comments:

  1. You're back! Thank you for updating! Hope all is well with your family emergency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This chapter is so amazing i knew Elena was involved!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew it!! I knew Elena was involved. Good for Ana for knowing something was up with that woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying this continuation of Christian and Ana's story but there is some confusing assuming it picks up after the 3rd book. First I don't think Grace would ever befriend Elena again. She abhors her for what she did to her son, even if there was some gratitude for Elena helping to "save" Christian. Also, in the book Christian starts to come around to Ana's way of thinking about Elena especially once he is going to be a father. And he was done with Elena professionally and personally. He would NEVER allow Ana to have a friendship like that so he needs to be more in line with his own expectations. And he definitely should have been respectful to Ana and let her know he was going to meet Elena after work. Especially since she couldn't even meet a prospective client for coffee. Elaina needs to be put in jail for her role in trying to harm Ana and him. Can't wait to see what's next.

    ReplyDelete