The Life of Mrs. Fifty Shades | Chapter 13



The Life of Mrs. Fifty Shades

Chapter Thirteen
Ana

When I woke up, I was in a place I’d been before—but only once.

I sat up and felt the bed underneath me. Phoebe slept right next to me, and Teddy was cuddled into my side. A thin blanket was placed over our fully clothed bodies. A bird chirped from the open window, and I immediately turned my head to see the cloudless blue sky. The scent of the vineyards came into my nose, and I recognized my location even though I’d never been in this room.

I stood and looked at the contents of the bedroom. Everything was fashioned in Italian culture. The beige walls complemented the rustic Italian furniture. A private bathroom was in the opposite corner, and there were couches, a fireplace and a stack of books on a table. It was a guest bedroom of some sort.

I checked on the children before I left the bedroom and stepped into the hallway. Looking at the window on the opposite side of the house, I knew I was on the second story. One glance at the rest of the estate confirmed my suspicions.

I was in Italy. “Crow?” Why did Christian arrange for me to come all the way to the other side of the world? When there was no response, I yelled again. “Crow?”

The sound of footsteps traveled up the staircase until Crow came into view. Tall, dark, and cold, he reached the top of the stairs wearing a black suit. It fit him perfectly, and his yellow tie contrasted nicely against the darkness he projected. He was quiet and intense just like Christian. Maybe they were brothers separated at birth.

When I looked at him, I forgot to speak. Now that I was face to face with him, my voice left my throat. Christian would only send me here to keep me safe. But I was innately afraid of this man.

“Sleep well?” He put both of his hands in his pockets and kept five feet between us. He had no intention of coming any closer, which I appreciated.

“Not sure. How long did we sleep for?”

He eyed his expensive watch. “Probably ten hours. But you were already asleep on the plane so maybe longer than that.”

Now that I had a timeline, everything came flooding back. “Christian. Is he okay? Have you spoken to him?” The guy took my phone and left it behind in the car. If Christian tried to reach me, he wouldn’t be able to.

Crow kept the same cold expression. “I haven’t spoken to him.”

“Have you tried calling?”

He nodded. “Once. Went straight to voicemail.”

That didn’t sound good. “Crow, I need to find him. Can I leave my children here while I go back to America to find him?”

All he did was shake his head.

“Crow, please.”

“He and I spoke at length before you left for Washington. He made it clear if something happened to him, all my focus should be on you. I gave him my word I would keep you and the kids safe. The only way I can do that is by keeping you here. No one will figure out where you are. And even if they did, they'd have an army to get through.”

I was relieved the kids were safe from anyone who sought to hurt us. But I wouldn’t be able to stay calm unless I knew Christian was okay too. “I have to find him. Crow, please help me.”

“He's on the other side of the world. There’s not much I can do.”

“You extracted me. I know you have money, connections, and resources.” This man didn’t owe me anything, but I’d push him until he gave me what I wanted. Christian would never give up on me. I sure as hell wouldn’t give up on him. “I’ll clean your house, do all your yard work, whatever the hell you want. Name your price. Every penny I have is yours. Just help me.”

For the first time, he showed a slight sign of compassion. His eyes softened in a subtle way.

“You wouldn’t have agreed to protect me unless he meant something to you.”

“He does mean something to me. He’s a friend—a good friend.”

“Then we can’t do nothing.”

“And as a good friend, he asked me to do something. He made his wishes very clear. My priority is to protect you. If I start looking for him and his enemies figure out the connection, they’ll trace it here—to you.”

I bowed my head in frustration. “I have to do something…”

“I know you feel helpless right now. But remember who your husband is. He’s the smartest bastard I’ve ever met. I’m sure he has a plan. That guy has a plan for plans.”

“I know. But maybe he’s stuck this time. Maybe he needs help this time.”

“The American police have been notified, and he’s a very famous man. I’m sure they’ll find him.”

I stomped my foot then gripped my skull before I let out a scream. “What if this was the woman you loved? Would you do nothing?”

He stared at me blankly, his five o’clock shadow already coming in even though it was early afternoon. “I’ve never loved a woman, so I can’t understand, But if I were Christian, I would do the exact same thing.”

“No.” I stomped my foot again. “What if you were me?”

“If I were someone’s wife, my duty and obligation would be to his children.”

That wasn’t the answer I wanted to hear so I glared at him. “You don’t have any men that can look into it?”

“He went missing over twenty-four hours ago. My men were dispatched to you. The trail has run cold by now.”

I was about to have a panic attack. I could feel it. My chest was rising and falling and my fingers were clammy with sweat. My throat burned from the need to scream. I felt light-headed and weak.

“Ana, stay calm.”

“How can I stay calm? My husband is missing.”

“Listen to me.” He took a step closer to me, his eyes turning angry. “Having a meltdown isn’t going to change anything. Take a deep breath and relax. You’ve got two little ones to stay strong for. And don’t cry. There’s nothing more annoying than a crying woman.”

“Thanks for being so sensitive…”

His eyebrows furrowed in annoyance. “I agreed to help Christian for our friendship as well as our business relationship. I don’t give a damn about your feelings. Don’t ever think otherwise.” He shot me a glare before he turned around and walked back down the stairs.

When he was gone, I finally let the tears fall. I was far away from home, and had no idea if my husband was okay. If he wasn’t, I wasn’t sure what I would do.

I wouldn’t be able to go on.

***

I walked down the hallway and searched for Crow’s study. Lars told me it was on the third floor and the third door on the left. We hadn’t spoken since he told me off the day before. The children and I had our meals in the dining room, and Teddy had fun swimming in the pool and exploring the path around the vineyards. They were in such a beautiful place that neither one of them seemed scared.

Just before I knocked on the door, I heard Crow speak.

“Cane, don’t go there.”

“What?” the man asked innocently. “She’s hot. She looks pretty damn good for having two kids.”

“I mean it.” Crow’s voice was low but it conveyed his terror.

“Come on. What Christian doesn’t know won’t hurt him.”

The silence was more terrifying than his words. Tension filled the room and seeped through the door. The temperature increased as his fire rose. “Say that again, and I’ll bury you in the fields. Don’t fuck with me, Cane. I mean it.”

“Shit, I was kidding.”

“Don’t bullshit with me. You were not. Touch a hair on her head, and I will shoot you right between the eyes. She’s off limits. Don’t even look at her.”

“You’ve got a thing for this broad?”

“Go to hell, Cane.”

“I’m being serious.”

“God, no,” Crow snapped. “I may not believe in marriage, but I respect it. Married women aren’t my thing and you know it.”

“It’s a shame because she’s—” Crow didn’t interrupt him but the words died in his throat. He must have given this Cane guy a pretty terrifying look to shut him up.

“Get the hell out, Cane. And don’t come back until she’s gone.”

“Come on, you don’t trust your own brother?”

After a pause, Crow spoke. “We both know you have a serious weakness when it comes to women. And the fact that this one is off limits just makes you want her more. So get the fuck out.”
***

Without my cell phone, I wasn’t able to call anyone because I didn’t memorize any numbers. The only number I knew was Christian’s—but he wasn’t answering. Crow was able to track down Grace’s number. The second I got it, I called.

“Hello?” When I heard the sadness in her voice, I knew she didn’t have good news.

“Grace, it’s Ana. The kids and I are okay.” Crow prohibited me from telling anyone where I was, and I agreed it was a good idea.

“Oh, thank god.” She gasped into the phone, on the verge of tears. “I’m so glad to hear your voice. Carrick and I were terrified. Thank you for calling. Where are you?”

“I can’t say. Christian arranged a safe house for me and the kids.”

“Of course he did,” she said. “I’m so relieved.”

“Have you heard from him?” I held my breath and braced for her answer.

“No.”

Oh god. I couldn’t breathe. I fell to the poolside chair and hugged my knees to my chest. I was about to break down and nothing could keep my feelings in check. “God…Christian.”

“Honey, I know it’s scary, but Christian is a very smart man. Don’t lose faith.”

“The cops haven’t found anything?”

“No. Taylor is missing as well. His PI came forward and informed the police Christian's birth father had contacted him. We think he’s behind this.”

At least they had that information days ago.

“They investigated his home in Seattle, but no one has lived there for a while. I’m not sure what happened, but I can only assume he wants money from Christian. What exactly happened, honey?”

I told her the story from beginning to end but didn’t tell her what my destination was.

“So they came for you first,” she whispered. “Then it definitely has to be about money. Without you, they have no leverage. And Christian won’t break for anything.”

“It’s just money. He should break.”

“Yes, but…”

“But what?”

“After he gets his money, he’ll probably kill Christian. So if he doesn’t break, he should be okay. The police are working endlessly to find him. He’s a well-known man. If anyone sees him, they’ll report it to the police.”

None of this made me feel better. It just stressed me out even more. “I tried getting back, but Christian’s…” I struggled to find an appropriate description. “Security won’t allow me to leave.”

“They’re right, Ana. You need to stay put. Don’t tell anyone where you are. Christian must feel better knowing the three of you are safe and sound.”

“But I don’t feel good knowing he’s missing…” A few tears escaped my eyes and fell to my lips.

“Ana, it’ll be alright. You aren’t alone in this.” She started to cry too. “We can’t lose faith.”

***
The kids were asleep, but I couldn’t even close my eyes. Every time I did, the nightmares came. Christian was dead on the floor, his eyes open and lifeless. It was better to stay awake with my own suffering than let my imagination run wild.

I went into the kitchen and looked for something to drink. I needed wine, scotch—anything. Something needed to stop the thoughts from circling in my mind. All I could think about was the love of my life.

“What are you in the mood for?” Crow appeared out of the shadows, sneaking up on me like a trained soldier.

I nearly jumped out of my skin. “Shit, you scared me.”

He opened the fridge and light flooded across the floor. “We have some leftovers.”

“I’m not hungry.”

“You want some wine?”

“Please.”

He grabbed a bottle then stood at the counter. Like someone who had done it a hundred times, he uncorked the bottle and poured two glasses. “You can have a glass and nothing more.”

“Such great hospitality…”

He took a drink and kept his eyes trained on my face. “I know why you’re down here. I’m not going to let you make a mistake you’ll regret later.” He swirled the glass before he took another drink. He wore a black t-shirt and sweat pants, his hard and defined body noticeable even through the loose fabric.

I used to be scared of Crow because of his appearance and cryptic words. But after I overheard his conversation with his brother, I knew he was a good man. Christian wouldn’t send me here if he had any doubt about my safety, and now I understood why. Crow’s aim was true, and he was a man of his word. He was noble, loyal, and honest. “I have time to sleep it off.”

“Kids know these kinds of things—even if we think they’re too young to understand.”

Teddy was observant, but Phoebe was oblivious to most things. “I’m entitled to a bad night…because I’m living in hell.”

He pushed the glass toward me. “It’s from my vineyards. You’ll like it.”

“I'll like anything with alcohol right now.” I held it to my lips and drank the entire glass.

He watched me, amused. “You should savor that because I’m not giving you another.”

“I’m a guest. I'll do what I want.”

His lips rose in a slight smile. “I’d like to see you try, sweetheart.”

I eyed the bottle, desperately needing a refill.

He stared me down, daring me to go for it.

I didn’t want to go head to head with this man. Maybe he was trustworthy, but he was still a terrifying opponent. Sadness washed over me suddenly, and I felt weaker than ever before. “I miss him so much…” I bowed my head in grief. “Do you understand what that’s like?” I needed to drag someone down with me, to know I wasn’t alone in my grief.

He stared at me in silence, his eyes giving nothing away. “I’ve never loved someone the way Christian loves you. Every time I care about anyone, they wind up dead. My life is much easier and much simpler living in indifference. I don’t care about anyone. And no one cares about me.”

That was a philosophy I couldn’t accept. Despite the pain I felt in the moment, it was worth our years of happiness. My life didn’t truly begin until I walked into Christian’s office on that rainy afternoon. And my life would end without him.

I leaned against the cabinets and slid to the floor. My knees moved to my chest and I buried my face in my hands. I would much rather be looking for Christian than sitting safely inside a mansion.

Crow leaned against the opposite cabinets and sat across from me. He folded his arms over his chest and stared at me. It didn’t look like he cared about my depression, but he continued to sit with me anyway.

“You don’t have to sit with me,” I whispered. “You can take your wine and go.”

He grabbed a bottle from the cabinet and took a drink right out of the bottle. Then he passed it to me across the table. “Misery loves company.”






    << chapter 12  |  chapter 14 >>     

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm LOVING this book!!! Im anxious to see how it ends … but I'm going to be sad when it's over!! And just a BTW, Ana CAN, in fact, does know how to handle/use a gun bc Ray taught her … which she demonstrated when she was kidnapped in "Fifty Shades Freed" by Elizabeth and her old boss, Jack Hyde.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to comment the same thing!

      Delete
    2. When was a gun mentioned? Or apAna using one?

      Delete
  3. I want to know what happens to Taylor i know he'll do anything for Christian I hope he is not dead 😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, IM HOOKED KEEPING WRITING...just curious about Taylor and his whereabouts. Need more information about Crow and his brother

    ReplyDelete